Skip to main content

Who owns your ambulance.



It has been an interesting morning, and you know this because I am actually submitting this blog first thing this morning (ok, maybe not first thing...but you know what I'm talking about).  I have been out of my office since last Friday, and I am just now catching up on my rss feeds.  Now, like many of you I have multiple RSS feeds dedicated to the fields of fire and EMS, as well as to the Healthcare field.  As you can image, these feed boxes were jam packed with articles that have circulated since last Friday and just ready for me to read over their words.  There were several good articles, some that were just funny, and one that left me thinking I needed to watch Silence of the Lambs again (strange HUH!). 

In looking over these RSS feeds, I found a common topic that I thought was interesting.  Now, what was intersting was the topic was common, but the outcomes were anything but.  As you can tell by the little picture I included with this version it has to do with ambulances, more specifically the ambulance services.  Evidently, as healthcare continues to define itself, the thoughts of how the EMS system should run also changes to fit/transform to the newest definition.  The key...who will own my ambulance.  In communities where private ambulance service has been running the show, people are showing interest in the town/fire department running the service.  In towns where the community or fire department runs the EMS response, they are talking about privatization.  What this tells me is that there really isn't one way or another that is better (non-scientific, personal opinion). 

So I ask you to comment below...not with personal opinion though!!! Who has the facts?  Have their been any studies completed and if so do you know where the results can be located.

Take Care and Stay Safe

The Combomedic
twitter.com/dsblev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELPA 6872 -Educational Technology

Good Morning Everybody. It has been a long time since I have posted on this blog.  The reason I am is a great reason for my Fire and EMS Audience, as well as my academic colleagues. After a very eventful beginning of 2018, my application was selected to join the latest cohort of students obtaining their Doctor of Education.  As part of this program, we are completing a course that is dedicated to technology and implementation into the classroom.  The delivery of this program is through technology based platforms, in that it is an online program. Here are some questions that I have about technology, and online learning. 1)  To mimic some of the classroom interaction and discussion, online educators use the discussion board with each module to foster communication.  For those of you having completed online educational programs, what made the discussion board useful? 2)  Does the set-up of the online course material make a difference in the success of the student? (As an example

You talking to me

It you use Twitter to follow anybody in EMS, you will certainly have hard that the son of FDNY Fire Commissioner has now resigned from his position as an EMT for his use of the 140 character microblog service.  Now, the FDNY isn't going to have a problem with the use of the service, but they will have a problem with derogatory comments that affect much of their vast community. The New York Daily News  (Article)  is one of many news agencies that has carried this story.  Joseph Cassano started to take heat as news of his twitter posts began to hit the wires.  The Fire Commissioner's son was using the Twitter service to express his displeasure at population groups following calls in the capacity of EMT.  Now, evidently his motives for serving in the FDNY EMT corp was to gain a position in the fire department that his dad serves as the leader.  While serving in this capacity, Mr. Cassano made racist and insensitive remarks about people that he was called to serve, as well as

Humbling Weekend creates great joy!!!

The #COMBOMEDIC is back after a short hiatus...sorry about the delay, but I took a couple days off to recoup.  And yet, I remain tired...still!  I guess that is a sign, I just don't know of what yet.  There are times in which the significance of the events are overwhelming in and of themselves and yet when you combine them with something else it is even better.  For me this past weekend was just that...a weekend of such significance that it was overwhelming.  Mountain Man Memorial March On Saturday the 20th of April I has the privilege of walking for soldiers that have given their lives in the defense of a grateful nation.  I was asked to participate in the Mountain Man Memorial March and was part of a team that comprised military members, family members, and high school guys and girls.  On this day we took part in a 13.1 mile march around a terrain composed of flat areas and a large amount of mountainous hills.  This isn't supposed to be an easy march nor was it, but in