Skip to main content

Week-in-Review (30 Mar 2013)


I have eluded to it in my prior editions, but unlike the past, I now receive all my news electronically.  Even if I do receive a print copy of something I will see if I can find it electronically then recycle the print version.  Now, like most of us I don't have the opportunity to go through every website and review the content to see if there any anything that they have reported on that I would like to see.  First, the content changes so rapidly today, and second there are just so many sites and blogs that I like to read it would literally take forever.  There are still some that I would like to report on, but for the most part, they would be out of date by now.

So for these reason I utilize an RSS feed that published new content directly to me the minute it comes out and I review it at my whim.  Additionally, I have the papers on my iPad, and I have news outlets (local and national) that I love to watch.  So for that reason I am going to start putting together a week-in-review edition.  This edition is going to be published on Saturday's with today's edition being the first.  This will also be the last edition with my commentary at the beginning...no I don't promise, but I will give you topics of interest for the week.  This will also keep my rss boxes below their max capacity, or at least current to the prior week.

EMS World

NYPD TELLS OFFICERS KEEP IT CLEAN ON SOCIAL MEDIA - In response to the massive outcry in the media in regards to the FDNY Commissioners Son and another who was a Lieutenant in the EMS Service, Police officers received notification through internal memorandum to "clean up their act" on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.  In the recent past the commissioner's son resigned his position with the FDNY EMS division where he was hoping for a position with the fire division.  However, his posts related to multiple ethnic backgrounds and economic level left him without a position as he resigned for the best of the department and his future.  FDNY cited the need for " the nation's largest police department to demonstrate professionalism when using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media." (AP, 2013) 

PRIVATE DONORS TO BUY EMS VEHICLES IN DETRIOT - From the racing community to those racing to help people in need, a group of private entities have put together a package to help the fleet deprived Detriot Fire and Police Departments.  News reports over the past several months has led the public to know the extent of EMS problems in the Detroit Fire Department and many of those relate to the aging fleet.  Penske Corp states that the first Horton Terrastar Ambulance will begin arriving within 120 days.  (Guillen, Detriot Free Press) 

EMS1

IS DETROIT'S EMS SYSTEM FINALLY ON THE RIGHT PATH - In addition to the ambulances listed above, Art Hsieh (EMS1 Editor in Chief) explains that the Governor of Michigan finally appointed an emergency manager to help the community through the financial concern that faces Detroit and its residences.  Charlie LeDuff with Detroit Fox 2 has been working to report the dire concerns of the town, and the fiscal aspect that has placed the emergency services organization in a substandard position.  With the combination of new EMS apparatus and an emergency manager (not to be confused with the Emergency management agency) to control the fiscal aspects of the city...is it enough to straighten out the path? (Hsieh, EMS1.com) 

VIDEO: FRIENDS BRING HIGH SCHOOL PROM TO DYING TEEN'S HOSPITAL BED - This is a touching story for people around the country, and even more touching with the fact that some of the individuals involved are within hours of my house.  Katelyn Norman is a 14 year old girl that has been suffering from cancer and was being treated at the local children's hospital.  She "started her bucket list of dreams" and this was one of them.
EMS1 Article

Firehouse

ORE. RESPONDER ALERTED TO CARDIAC ARREST BY PULSEPOINT - I'm not sure if you have heard about the new app yet, but I have been alerted to the Pulsepoint app.  This app will notify area bystanders to the need for somebody trained in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, and tell them where to go.  Firehouse.com News talks about the first reported case of an individual who was notified and responded to a need for CPR because of the application.  Following initiation of CPR by the bystander, responders arrived and found the patient had a DNR and terminated efforts, calling the fatality on-scene.  While this situation did not result in a save, it does prove that app responders can help prior to the arrival of EMS/Fire units.  (Firehouse.com)

Have a great week.

Take Care and Stay Safe!
The Combomedic

twitter.com/dsblev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELPA 6872 -Educational Technology

Good Morning Everybody. It has been a long time since I have posted on this blog.  The reason I am is a great reason for my Fire and EMS Audience, as well as my academic colleagues. After a very eventful beginning of 2018, my application was selected to join the latest cohort of students obtaining their Doctor of Education.  As part of this program, we are completing a course that is dedicated to technology and implementation into the classroom.  The delivery of this program is through technology based platforms, in that it is an online program. Here are some questions that I have about technology, and online learning. 1)  To mimic some of the classroom interaction and discussion, online educators use the discussion board with each module to foster communication.  For those of you having completed online educational programs, what made the discussion board useful? 2)  Does the set-up of the online course material make a difference in the success of the student? (As an example

You talking to me

It you use Twitter to follow anybody in EMS, you will certainly have hard that the son of FDNY Fire Commissioner has now resigned from his position as an EMT for his use of the 140 character microblog service.  Now, the FDNY isn't going to have a problem with the use of the service, but they will have a problem with derogatory comments that affect much of their vast community. The New York Daily News  (Article)  is one of many news agencies that has carried this story.  Joseph Cassano started to take heat as news of his twitter posts began to hit the wires.  The Fire Commissioner's son was using the Twitter service to express his displeasure at population groups following calls in the capacity of EMT.  Now, evidently his motives for serving in the FDNY EMT corp was to gain a position in the fire department that his dad serves as the leader.  While serving in this capacity, Mr. Cassano made racist and insensitive remarks about people that he was called to serve, as well as

Humbling Weekend creates great joy!!!

The #COMBOMEDIC is back after a short hiatus...sorry about the delay, but I took a couple days off to recoup.  And yet, I remain tired...still!  I guess that is a sign, I just don't know of what yet.  There are times in which the significance of the events are overwhelming in and of themselves and yet when you combine them with something else it is even better.  For me this past weekend was just that...a weekend of such significance that it was overwhelming.  Mountain Man Memorial March On Saturday the 20th of April I has the privilege of walking for soldiers that have given their lives in the defense of a grateful nation.  I was asked to participate in the Mountain Man Memorial March and was part of a team that comprised military members, family members, and high school guys and girls.  On this day we took part in a 13.1 mile march around a terrain composed of flat areas and a large amount of mountainous hills.  This isn't supposed to be an easy march nor was it, but in