Skip to main content

...and today's Olympic Event - The Balance Beam

 
So you are saying this is the COMBOMEDIC, and not an olympic tracking blog.  And besides that aren't we 324 days away from the next Winter Olympics anyways.  You would be right, I am simply using the olympic balance beam as a segway into the next topic that I wanted to mention. 

Now, as I start I want to thank my wife for the topic.  When I asked yesterday I received two great topics and I wanted to get to this one now and I will be writing on the second topic early next week.  When she told me the topic all she said was balance, and I must say that it flew around my head a few minutes before it landed (needed a little more info too).  Then she mentioned the need for families in the emergency services field to come up with a way to balance their work life, and home life.  Now, I am certainly not the first person to say this, nor is emergency services the only profession that must do this, but it is imperative for our personnel to make this distinction and to work on this balance to bring the most satisfaction from the profession, and from the family. 

Now, if you know me, you know that I tend to be a workaholic (I hate that term, but it fits).  I have a bad habit for having too many projects going, and spending to much time doing it and I have missed large blocks of time.  When I still in the field I would work extra shifts, take extra positions on ambulances, and in the classroom, I would serve on additional committees and advisory board, and basically anything I could do to immerse myself in the profession.  I have served multiple fire departments at the same time, working as a volunteer with one and paid at another and it ultimately took up a lot of my time.  During the early part of my career, It was my wife and I and we were ok with the way things were going at the time.  I was still in retail management and I was working as a volunteer with a combination department.  The complexities of time management weren't that tremendous becuase I was doing a lot of my FD work while my wife was at her position. 

Then came the change...now, I said that by using a singular term when it truly was changes.  "When it rains it pours right."  When I was starting starting my career as a firefighter with a large municipal fire department we were in the process of expanding our family and enjoying the life of a newborn in our house.  Little did we know how much a career change could put on the family with just my wife and I, let alone with the addition of a little one.  At that point it still wasn't that bad.  I was working with the large municipal department and still doing some work with the combination department when we were together so my wife could watch our child, and she was still working...so time become a little more complex, but managable.  Then comes more.  We added schools (for us both) more jobs, higher money needs (kids eat A LOT), additional jobs, additional responsibilies, then another child and guess what was happening.  Well, we didn't plan for all of that and we lost appointments, failed to find babysitters for our kids and things just hurt a little.  So here comes the balance beam.

When our families are in the emergency services field (and it is truly our families in the profession) we must find a balance.  One of the best things my wife and I started doing was sitting down weekly to discuss our schedule.  Planning time together can help set up the week for success by allowing you first to be together, and second to ensure you don't miss any appointments and that all babysitters are available.  Additionally, that coordinated schedule will give you an opportunity to ensure you also have some family time built in. 

Our profession is one of constant demand and stress.  While our personnel are resilient, and have adapted many ways to handling the distress associated with our jobs, it is good to help build ways to cope with that stress through eustress (good stress).  A great balance between family and work can be everything that a struggling emergency service employee needs. 

Take Care and Stay Safe
Combomedic - David Blevins

twitter.com/dsblev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELPA 6872 -Educational Technology

Good Morning Everybody. It has been a long time since I have posted on this blog.  The reason I am is a great reason for my Fire and EMS Audience, as well as my academic colleagues. After a very eventful beginning of 2018, my application was selected to join the latest cohort of students obtaining their Doctor of Education.  As part of this program, we are completing a course that is dedicated to technology and implementation into the classroom.  The delivery of this program is through technology based platforms, in that it is an online program. Here are some questions that I have about technology, and online learning. 1)  To mimic some of the classroom interaction and discussion, online educators use the discussion board with each module to foster communication.  For those of you having completed online educational programs, what made the discussion board useful? 2)  Does the set-up of the online course material make a difference in the success of the student? (As an example

You talking to me

It you use Twitter to follow anybody in EMS, you will certainly have hard that the son of FDNY Fire Commissioner has now resigned from his position as an EMT for his use of the 140 character microblog service.  Now, the FDNY isn't going to have a problem with the use of the service, but they will have a problem with derogatory comments that affect much of their vast community. The New York Daily News  (Article)  is one of many news agencies that has carried this story.  Joseph Cassano started to take heat as news of his twitter posts began to hit the wires.  The Fire Commissioner's son was using the Twitter service to express his displeasure at population groups following calls in the capacity of EMT.  Now, evidently his motives for serving in the FDNY EMT corp was to gain a position in the fire department that his dad serves as the leader.  While serving in this capacity, Mr. Cassano made racist and insensitive remarks about people that he was called to serve, as well as

Humbling Weekend creates great joy!!!

The #COMBOMEDIC is back after a short hiatus...sorry about the delay, but I took a couple days off to recoup.  And yet, I remain tired...still!  I guess that is a sign, I just don't know of what yet.  There are times in which the significance of the events are overwhelming in and of themselves and yet when you combine them with something else it is even better.  For me this past weekend was just that...a weekend of such significance that it was overwhelming.  Mountain Man Memorial March On Saturday the 20th of April I has the privilege of walking for soldiers that have given their lives in the defense of a grateful nation.  I was asked to participate in the Mountain Man Memorial March and was part of a team that comprised military members, family members, and high school guys and girls.  On this day we took part in a 13.1 mile march around a terrain composed of flat areas and a large amount of mountainous hills.  This isn't supposed to be an easy march nor was it, but in